Monday 4 February 2019

Worst problem first: the heads

I had a very thorough survey done of Nawitka before I bought her. It noted the presence of holding tanks and the fact that the forward tank had a loose gasket on one of the fittings, which probably accounted for the relatively vile smell in that head.

What the survey did NOT mention was that whatever was in the holding tanks had exactly one way of getting out, and that was directly overboard (well, down a hose and out an underwater through-hull.)

NOT cool, if you're going to be using the head at a marina. As the holding tanks were only 5 gallons each, it was a tad impractical to be going for jaunts every few days out far enough into the Strait of Georgia to legally empty them.

My plan all along had been to replace the forward (smelly) head with a composting head, and eventually replacing the other head as well. This became a much more urgent task, and I replaced both of them at once. Well, I say it like *I* did it, but I totally didn't. I have this full-time job thing, and it seriously interferes with me being all awesome and fixer-upper-y. I found a guy who does all kinds of boat stuff and asked him to do it.

The new composting heads went in reasonably easily, although with a few tweaks, including a solid base for each (as the base from the original head was too small). I had planned to spend about $1500 replacing one head. The final price tag was well over $3500 for both, including labour and materials. However, they were WELL worth it.

Aesthetically they are not the most graceful of appliances, and using them is a trifle daunting to start, but their thronelike aspects (the bases make them a little high) and the complete absence of loo-blue-chemical/holding tank stank makes them infinitely superior to standard marine heads. They just do. not. smell. I had read of this and was skeptical, but it's true: if you spray vinegar after you pee, there is no smell. When you have to change out the compost substrate for the solids container (which is obvious, when you can't turn the tosser wheel easily), it just smells like inoffensive dirt/compost.

I cannot overstate how nice it is to have a boat that does not smell like a holding tank.

With 3 of us (and guests) using the heads I have to change the solids compost every 2-3 weeks or so on the forward (more used) head. Less frequently, if I'm super zealous about rotating which head one ought to poop in. Changing the compost stuff is slightly more physically demanding than using a toilet brush. But it's not unpleasant, and I'm getting faster at it. It's also nice because the whole toilet can come out of the head, and it's really easy to give the space behind it a good wipe and clean.



Final verdict: Thumbs up to the composting heads. I was rushed into them because of the shitty (ha ha) holding tanks that came with the boat, but it turned out for the best.

Also: I now have 2 more storage areas where once there were holding tanks. Haven't filled them yet though.



No comments:

Post a Comment